Hotel room rates go up and down according to supply and demand. But if you know how to find the lowest possible rate on a room, you can save yourself hundreds of dollars. Lucky for you, Amy Ziff, Travelocity.com’s Editor-at-Large, will share her insider’s travel tips.
Watch this video:
Getting discount hotel rates:
- You usually won’t get discount hotel rates by calling the hotels directly. Generally, the lowest rates are going to be found online.
- Look for a “good buy” rate or “guaranteed lowest price.”
- Sometimes you can take advantage of a discount hotel rate by looking for specials that stretch out your dollar such as “stay three nights and get one free.”
- Check out travel packages for the best price on the whole vacation as they can save you 10-30% or more.
- Last minute deals are often a good buy. Most packages can only be booked 14 days in advance so even if you’re a procrastinator or just like being spontaneous you can still get a discount hotel rate!
Getting a free hotel upgrade and special treatment:
- Call ahead to let them know your trip is special in some way; a birthday or anniversary, perhaps. While it may not result in a hotel upgrade, you may find out about special services the hotel offers for free or for a small cost – but it could be well worth it. However, if you don’t let them know about your special occasion they won’t be able to help.
- A great way to get a hotel upgrade – just ask! When you check in, it never hurts to ask for an upgrade.
- Join a hotel’s frequent guest program to be eligible for special perks.
- Avoid disappointment by reading online customer reviews before you book a room.
Thanks to Howdini.com for this information.