When we travel we love to try out new places to eat, but most often the comfort in an old favorite is best. My whole family enjoys IHOP because the food is always delicious, prices are right, and the portions leave us with full bellies. We can always appreciate a restaurant that strives to offer healthy alternatives and IHOP is doing just that!
IHOP and Quaker Oats have joined together to introduce three new varieties available for breakfast: Super Fruit & Nut Oatmeal, Super Fruit Oatmeal, and Banana & Brown Sugar Oatmeal available exclusively at IHOP. Two of the new varieties feature so called “super fruits” are known to exhibit superb nutrient richness and antioxidant qualities. Also new this fall, IHOP is expanding its under-600-calorie SIMPLE & FIT menu and other wholesome menu offerings like whole wheat pancakes, waffles and crepes. New SIMPLE & FIT additions will include:
- Super Fruit Oatmeal – A bowl of freshly-made toasted Quaker Oats, lightly sweetened with cinnamon sugar, and topped with a blend of five dried super fruits, including blueberries, dark cherries, cranberries, raisins and golden raisins. (290 Calories)
- Super Fruit Oatmeal with Almonds and Walnuts– A bowl of freshly-made toasted Quaker Oats, lightly sweetened with cinnamon sugar, and topped with almonds, walnuts and a blend of five dried super fruits, including blueberries, dark cherries, cranberries, raisins and golden raisins. (330 calories)
- Banana and Brown Sugar Oatmeal– A bowl of freshly made toasted Quaker Oats topped with fresh banana slices and served with brown sugar and milk. (260 calories)
- Whole Wheat Pancakes Combo – Two Whole Wheat Pancakes topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and two strips of turkey bacon (460 calories)
- Kid’s Whole Wheat Pancake Combo – One Whole Wheat Pancake topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and one strip of turkey bacon (230 calories)
- Whole Wheat Waffle Combo – A Whole Wheat Waffle topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar served with egg substitute and two strips of turkey bacon (510 calories)
- Whole Wheat Crepes – Two Whole Wheat Crepes filled with sweet cream cheese and topped with lightly sweetened blueberries and powdered sugar (380 calories)
I ordered for my kids and didn’t tell them anything about the Simple & Fit menu. They are used to eating pancakes, eggs, and bacon, so the Whole Wheat Pancake combo was right up their alley. The serving was the same, the eggs substitute resembles regular eggs to a T. The only difference was the turkey bacon, it wasn’t fatty like pork, it’s thinner and has more of a jerky texture. The kids ate the food and only my 13 year old said the bacon was different, but still full of flavor! I confessed about the changes in the menu and they were pleasantly shocked! They said the whole wheat pancakes were just as fluffy and tasted the same, eggs were just as good and the bacon was better! The bananas were a bonus!
We used sugar-free syrup on the pancakes as well. My dad is diabetic so my kids are used to having sugar free syrup when they stay at grandma and grandpas, we thank IHOP for having this alternative in their restaurants!
My parents ordered the SIMPLE & FIT Veggie Omelette– mushrooms, green peppers, onions and oven-roasted tomatoes (320 Calories) and it was large! They loved the flavor and were happy to see a good sized side of fruit served with it. All of us left, per usual, full and content after a wonderfully healthy breakfast!