My son showed signs of milk intolerance soon after he was born, we quickly made a switch over to soy formula. For the first 3-4 years of his life, he loved it, preferred it over the family’s whole milk. I love a glass of cold milk, but my stomach isn’t always on my side. I’ve never been “diagnosed” lactose intolerant, but I do limit my intake of dairy due to some side-effects.
Have you ever tried alternatives to cow’s/goat’s milk? Whether adding to smoothies, swapping out cereal milk or adding to recipes, almond milk and rice milk are a quick way to fuel yourself and the kids with energy and protein, especially important with school starting. In fact, in 2010 milk alternatives experienced a 13% growth from the previous year (Wall Street Journal).
Earth’s Own – Canada’s award-winning, leading non-dairy beverage company – is debuting their best-selling almond and rice milks here on the West Coast, and here’s some information about the new products:
· Ryza: The only rice beverage to bear the Whole Grains Council seal, Ryza is also the only rice milk to contain 16 grams of whole grains per one cup serving. Ryza contains no added oils, making it half the fat of the leading competitor.
· Almond Fresh : Made with nutrient-rich real California almonds, Almond Fresh offers a unique “real nutty taste” that is exclusive to the beverage. In 2011, it received the “Best New Product” award in the Dairy Alternative category as voted by more than 25,000 consumers and featured in Canadian Living magazine.
At about $4.29/half gallon, the milk is pricier what you’re used to, but if you have sensitivities in your family to gluten, lactose, or wheat, Ryza and Almond Fresh are definitely something you should look into!
Our take: Both milks have a nutty taste, the color is off white, so like soy milk I’ve tried in the past, you need to look beyond your traditional ideals of milk so you can really enjoy it. I was afraid slightly that there would be a texture difference and I didn’t find that the case, the Ryza is a thinner consistency, but both very smooth. Even served at it’s coldest, there is a warmer taste to it and to an inexperienced rice and almond milk drinker it’s sweeter and like non-dairy creamer to the taste. Thrown into a smoothie, coffee, or dessert, the substitution for whole milk is undetected. I already love almonds, so I knew the milk would be something familiar to my palate! I know the kids would enjoy the Almond Fresh with Vanilla flavor again mixed in recipes the flavor wouldn’t change, though the nutrition value only escalates!
Due to the economy, I won’t be buying Ryza or Almond Fresh each trip to the store, but I will think about the nutritional value and get it occasionally for recipes
Here’s a recipe your family will love:
Ryza Banana Nut Smoothie
11/2 cup of Ryza (24 grams of whole grains!)
1 medium banana – frozen
1 tbsp. smooth peanut butter
3 ice cubes
Purée all the ingredients in a blender until smooth. Pour into a glass and serve at once.
For an extra special treat, add a tablespoon of chocolate syrup too.
Almond Fresh Chocolate Almond Butterscotch Squares
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup butter, at room temperature
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup Almond Fresh Vanilla
1 1/2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
1/2 cup each butterscotch chips and sliced almonds
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Spray a 9” x 13” baking pan with non-stick cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, stir flour with salt. In a large bowl, beat butter with sugar until creamy. Beat in egg. On low speed, alternately add flour mixture and Almond Fresh to creamed sugar. Stir in 1/2 cup each chocolate chips and coconut.
3. Scrape batter into prepared pan and evenly spread. Sprinkle with remaining chocolate chips and coconut, then butterscotch chips and almonds.
4. Bake in centre of preheated oven until a toothpick inserted in centre comes out clean and coconut and almonds are golden brown (25-28 minutes).
5. Cool in pan on rack. Cut into squares. (Makes 32 squares)
For more recipes visit the following sites,
Right now, primarily on the West Coast, you can find Ryza and Almond Fresh in select stores like Whole Foods, New Season’s, Market of Choice, Mother’s, New Leaf, New Front, Lassen’s, and Save Mart.
Similar prizing was offered for honest review.